The undefended fast track process will proceed to a decree nisi, the penultimate stage in a divorce, on July 31, with neither party making a financial claim against the other.
In a joint statement, the couple said advertising tycoon Saatchi has not consulted a lawyer and will be representing himself during the proceedings.
The statement concluded:
“Both parties would appreciate privacy for themselves and their children at this difficult time.”
Last month, controversial photographs showing Saatchi with his hands around his wife’s throat outside a London restaurant appeared in the media. Saatchi accepted a police caution, and subsequently announced plans to divorce Nigella, reportedly without telling her first. Describing the decision as “heartbreaking”, the 70 year-old insisted that he had never abused his wife and said he was disappointed she had made no public statements in his defence.
Photo by Taku via Flickr under a Creative Commons licence