Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm

Ask a family lawyer: “Our decree nisi has come through, but we have changed our minds!”

Question: Our decree nisi has come through, but we have changed our minds! We want to give our marriage another go. Can you stop a divorce once the legal wheels are in motion?

Anthony Jones, a solicitor in Stowe Family Law’s Hale office, replies: This is an interesting area of family law, and one with which solicitors here at Stowe Family Law LLP are familiar:  one of our reported cases, S v S (2002) 1FLR 992, touched upon the court’s power to rescind a decree nisi.

Decree nisi is the first of two decrees within divorce proceedings but it does not dissolve the marriage.  It is the provisional decree and is only pronounced once the court is satisfied that the legal and procedural steps have been met. The second decree, known as decree absolute, ultimately dissolves the marriage, this can be applied for six weeks and one day after the pronouncement of decree nisi.

The Court has the inherent power to rescind a decree nisi.

High Court judge Mr Justice Singer held in the case of S v S (which Stowe Family Law were involved in) that this jurisdiction was based on the “Court’s ability to control proceedings and implies and justifies the need to bring them to an end.  Where a Decree Nisi has been pronounced but, for whatever reason, it is clear no application to make it Absolute is likely to be made, then if the matter is brought to its attention the Court does have the ability to and should mitigate any stalemate which then arises.  Every such decision will involve the exercise of a discretion, although the fact that both parties’ see the same outcome which should be a potent but not overwhelming factor.”

As you both therefore want to give your marriage another go, you can make an application to the Court to rescind the decree nisi.  To bring the proceedings to an end the divorce petition must also be dismissed and both rescinding the decree nisi and dismissing the divorce proceedings can be applied for by agreement.

If the divorce petition is based on adultery by respondent (ie the person who receives the divorce papers), and you have lived together for a period or periods together exceeding six months since this adultery was discovered by the petitioner (ie the person who filed for divorce), then the divorce petition cannot proceed. The decree nisi cannot therefore be made absolute so it must be rescinded.  This was the situation in the case of Kim v Morris, where Mrs Justice Parker rescinded the decree nisi and dismissed the divorce petition.

It is important that incomplete divorce proceedings are dealt with, particularly if financial matters have been agreed and the court has approved an order as such orders cannot be implemented without a decree absolute – and of course, that cannot be applied for if the decree Nisi has been rescinded. If the reconciliation does not work then new divorce proceedings would need to be issued and there would be a delay in the implementation of the order.

In short, the, answer to your question is yes. Do bear in mind, however, that the procedure is not always straightforward. Your solicitor will be able to advise you further.

Anthony Jones has dealt exclusively with family law matters, in particular divorce, matrimonial finance (including high net worth assets), children, domestic violence, cohabitation and both pre- and postnuptial agreements. He is also a Resolution -accredited specialist in advanced financial provision and cohabitation.

The blog team at Stowe is a group of writers based across our family law offices who share their advice on the wellbeing and emotional aspects of divorce or separation from personal experience. As well as pieces from our family law solicitors, guest contributors also regularly contribute to share their knowledge.

Contact us

As the UK's largest family law firm we understand that every case is personal.


  1. monika dunns says:

    I was served with divorce papers in November last year. I reply and send it back to the court. I rang the court to find out what is happening but was told that he has not reply back to the court with the forms he needed to sign.

    My problem is that I just need to get over with all the unneccessary stress it is causing. Can I dismissed his petition and start my own ?
    What forms do I need to do so ?

    I own a property before we got married and wev’e got no children. Wev’e been married for almost 7 yrs but seperated for 6 yrs. We have decided not make any claims against each other because he made no contribution whatsoever and we were never living in the house I bought, it was rented out for years. He’s got property and money from an inheritance his mom died and leave for him, so each person keep what they got and moved on. Am wondering if it is possible and straightfoward as it appears to be. We will have a clean break order in place. I personally have no interest in his inheritance because that belongs to him and am hoping he doesn’t change his mind about making claims against me either.

  2. Andrew says:

    if I dismiss my current divorce proceedings by agreement and after their dismissal wish to apply for divorce again and also make a full Financial Remedy Application by Form A in those new proceedings, can I do so? There is no Form A in the current proceedings. I don’t want to do anything which prevents me making a financial remedy application in the future in fresh divorce proceedings

    • Kate Nestor says:

      Thanks for your query. I have passed it onto our Client Care Team who will put you in touch with one of our lawyers. Kind regards,

Leave a comment

Help & advice categories


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

What type of information are you looking for?

Privacy Policy