Couple fined for breaching forced marriage order

Marriage|May 13th 2016

A Pakistani couple have been fined after attempting to fly to Pakistan with their daughter.

The unnamed teenager had been made the subject of a ‘forced marriage protection order’ last year as she was thought to be at risk of coercion. But just a few months later, the family were stopped by the Police at Manchester airport, en route to Pakistan to visit dying grandparents.

The parents claimed to be unaware that they were breaching the order and believed it had in fact been rescinded, allowing the teen to travel to travel abroad if she wished.

Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court accepted their claims, saying there had been a serious breakdown in communication between the Police, social service and their daughter’s school. District judge Samuel Goozee told the parents:

“I have taken into account that you [the mother] were acting on information you had been given through your daughter. I don’t believe either of you were deliberately breaching this order and there is evidence before me that there has been almost a breakdown with your understanding and the other agencies.”

But the protection order remained in place, he stressed. They were fined £250, with £85 costs and a £15 surcharge.

The mother’s counsel insisted:

“It’s a miscommunication, a misunderstanding, no more than that…This is a westernised family. They are not trying to force her to marry anyone.”

The blog team at Stowe is a group of writers who share their advice on the wellbeing and emotional aspects of divorce or separation from personal experience. Guest contributors also regularly contribute to share their knowledge.

1. Andrew says:

On those findings of fact a CD sounds more appropriate.

• Stitchedup says:

Agreed Andrew, but this falls into the area of DV. You can expect to receive a disproportionate punishment regardless of how minor the breach, and it appears there is no defence of reasonable excuse as this is a political hot button.

British Pakistanis, wtf? Are they British, or are they Pakistanis?

To be fair, are we British, or are we EU citizens?

This whole borders thing needs tidying up.

Saw border patrol recently, the Immigration police turned up unannounced at a bus station in London and 2/3rds of the people there literally started running.

The illegals were processed and given noticed to leave the country, then told to come back in seven days, whereupon they disappeared.

They blocked off the exits and most were illegal and some were running from police and some were not quite illegal but they were not sure themselves.

My point? Buggered if I know. Probably time to leave the EU and get identity cards and clamp down on human rights and lawyers and start sorting out these fundamental issues and not ducking them as cultural and if some peoples rights get trampled in the process fair enough. Including FGM, MGM, Forced marriages, marrying cousins, immigration levels, etc. Please let me know on if you don’t understand and I will draw you a Fing picture, one with a sinking ship in the middle.

So, yes, putting efforts to stop Pakistanis marrying young or against will, as here, is a good use of time as are the other points I raised above.

Its a shame the Labour party have become impotent on these things and Rotherham etc. Real bloody shame, I had relatives who used to believe in the labour party, now its a talking shop for poncy middle class overeducated knobs. Time they got back to supporting working people. Seems they have been overrun by vested interest minorities including unions and immigrants, eg London Mayor. Needs to sort itself out. Else what happened to it in Scotland will happen to it in England within the next 10 years. Real shame as I am not a lover of single party state or the Conservative party.

p.s. My wife is a non white immigrant, so shouting racist at me is balls. Ed Balls.

I think the fine is appropriate – I see no evidence of a breakdown in communication. Months after a forced marriage protection order any competent person would make damn sure it is rescinded and not just take the word of a child.
    JamesB, I hope I’m wrong but I really don’t think Brexit will occur even though I think in the medium/long term that is the best thing for the UK – not the best thing for me personally but that’s irrelevant – because the government and most opposition parties have started a ‘full court press’ of scaremongering just as was done by Edward Heath in 1975. It will almost certainly work.

• Stitchedup says:

The judge appears to have found as fact there was a breakdown in communication, not just between the parents and,agencies but also between the agencies themselves. This finding would amount to mitigating circumstances, perhaps even reasonable excuse, hence I’m in agreement with Andrew that, given the finding, a CD may have been more appropriate.

• JamesB says:

Nah, I don’t buy it. I just wouldn’t go to Pakistan for a Holiday. Goa maybe, not Pakistan.

• JamesB says:

Then again, my parents live just down the road and I struggle to visit there. I did travel to Australia to meet my ex in laws a couple of times, never again. Perhaps the tensions between Pakistani generations and the baby boomers is not as pronounced as with my family. Perhaps I am difficult. That’s as close as I can get to agreeing with you as I don’t think I do. I think if it were me, I would have checked with the appropriate authority before the trip and they are probably lying and agree with the fine.

• JamesB says:

CD, conditional discharge. Just worked it out. To assume that lay people understand legal acronyms is too much I think most of the time.

• Stitchedup says:

The point is the fine is based on the finding of the judge not what we may believe or buy. Based on the finding of the judge a CD may have been appropriate imho. I should qualify that by saying, as I’ve said before, that a finding of “fact” on the balance of probability is an oxymoron. The truth of the matter may well be more in line with your opinion and that of Luke.

• JamesB says:

I don’t know Luke. Establishment have been seen not too be too bright over recent years. Hillsborough, Guildford pub bombings, Power generation, lack of control on immigration, selling off of land, budget deficit, pensions black hole, racial and religious tensions, nationalism and terrorism, failure of multiculturalism, expansion of the EU, youth undemployment, failure to pay for education, failure to educate young well, massive trade deficit in goods, etc. etc.

Like with Trump in the US people don’t seem to suck up all the bullshit like they did with Blair and Iraq and dodgy dossier for example. Plus there are hefty people on the leave side including Lawson Lamont Boris Farage Roger Moore etc. Plus the remain side hasn’t said anything worth listening too for ages except the US who want us as their lackey.

That said people don’t like change and this has been found in Oz with someone saying it harder to win a referendum to change things then to tow an iceberg to the equator. If the country was starving due to only being allowed EU food and there was none and the vote was should we leave the EU people may still vote to remain. People are like that, especially women who don’t like to worry their pretty little heads about such things but trust the establishment.

Personally I have found the establishment to be full of shit. Especially with regards to csa/cmec/cms/cmoptions and family law and the police and feminism and immigration and all the things mentioned above and think we should vote to leave and it best people get a voice again as the EU is failing. Like letting in millions of dodgy economic migrants.

I hope the people who don’t know what they are voting for or why (most people in this country) don’t turn up to vote and we vote out asap. South Korea and Canada are doing well for example which contradicts Karney et al (establishment).

Strange how arab league didn’t let in the immigrants, strange how it took nato rather than the EU to sort out the Balkans. The EU is not really good for anything much I can think of.

• JamesB says:

p.s. The country wasn’t swamped with millions of legal and illegal immigrants in 1975 as it is now and the establishment have not come up with an answer to that one. They say our borders are secure, when they are not, they are open to oh, hundreds of millions of EU people including Eastern Europeans and now a hundred million more now Turks can come in without a visa. Anyone who goes along with our borders being secure from excessive immigration is talking nonsense.

Heath was the idiot who introduced the MCA 1973 also, Major introduced the CSA and the ERM and underinvested in public services and education and watched the disintegration of British industry and the falure of the English football team to qualify for USA 1994. I wouldn’t follow either of them down any road or to organise a piss up in a brewery.

Plus on leaving the EU, it would be better in the short, medium, and long term.

Michael Caine and others also.

They are For vote leave that is.