More mothers in the workforce

Family|September 29th 2017

Significantly more mothers are now employed than were earning only 11 years ago, the Office for National Statistics has revealed.

In a fresh analysis of data from two existing surveys – the Labour Force Survey and the Annual Population Survey, the ONS discovered that the percentage of mothers in paid employment now stands at 73.7 per cent, an increase of nearly 12 per cent since 1996.

The great majority of mothers who are not working meanwhile – 75.2 per cent – plan to rejoin the workforce in the future.

Most two parent families – a total of 1.8 million – with children feature a father in full time work and a mother in part-time work.

You can read more here.

1. Paul Apreda says:

It is with subtle views and statements as expressed in this piece that women are condemned to a life of inequality. This is illustrated clearly in the follwing paragraph from the piece
    ‘Unsurprisingly, however, women between the ages of 16 and 49 with children are still less likely to have a job than their childless peers. Equally in line with common sense is the finding that mothers of young children (up to the age of 12) are the demographic group least likely to be in work.’
    The gender pay gap does not exist until around the age of 30. From that age until 40 the gap widens and after that age women’s earning compared to those of men’s fall off a cliff. So what do we think may be happening to women around the age of 30 that means their earning potential declines? Ah yes – they have children and they either give up work or carry on with reduced roles and a commensurately lower chance of promotion and advancement.
    Until we start to challenge the narrative that uses terms like ‘unsurprisingly’ and ‘in line with common sense’ when considering the impact on women’s care giving on pay they will never attain a position of equality across all aspects of life. That is why for example the Women’s Equality Party is committed to shared parenting as one of its core ambitions. Men need to be encouraged and empowered to play an equal role in the care and upbringing of children because without that women will be condemned to continue to lag behind in other areas of life.

• Cameron Paterson says:

Thanks for the thoughtful response Paul. The phrases you take issue were meant as an acknowledgement of current reality and not really intended to suggest approval of the status quo. It’s always interesting to discover how other people interpret what you have written! I agree heartily that fathers should be allowed to play a greater role in family life than they often are. I think most would welcome the opportunity

• Mr T says:

Until we stop judging women, men and hell all parents for life choices feminist myths (that have recently been accepted by at least one feminist group – American Association of University Women [link removed]) which is something any person with an ounce of common sense automatically knows!

This is always going to attract stigma. It’s like the conundrum how do you stop feminism? Stop talking about it, challenge it if it becomes a problem otherwise ignore it. The more you talk about it the more power you give it.
      (*Sorry Mr T but we can no longer outgoing links to most other sites in comments – hence the editing above)

2. Mr T says:

There is the downfall of society in a nutshell women abandoning their gender roles in droves because they see raising children as “slavery” or beneath them. The irony is that there isn’t a more important job.

We need to stop shaming women for choosing to raise children and put effort into their families.

I agree with Mr T. The model we used to have where the mother brought up the children was a lot better than the mess we currently have.

The change was WW1 then WW2, the men went and fought and died and the women worked. Thinking of my Grandmother who worked in a munitions factory and was slightly deaf afterwards. They did enjoy it and said they didn’t want to go back home. I don’t think that sounds right. I think Mr T hits the nail on the head. It seems they are in indoctrinated with dodgy articles like this and group think. Like the anti Brexit people and political correctness.

The radical feminist lesbians persuaded the women they were oppressed in the same way as the educated metropolitan liberal establishment tried to tell us that Zulu was a racist film and Wilbur Smith is sexist and racist, Brexit is for Xenophobes, and such other dodgy establishment lines.

I was not around when the bra burning was happening. I do remember being driven past the Greenham Common peace camp as a child when my mother and father were still together with my sister and asking how they could live like that, “Don’t they miss men?” I think were my exact words. To which my Dad replied “I don’t think they like men” to which my Mum said something like “Oh I think thats wrong and unfair”.

I am surprised its still the establishment line that bringing up children isn’t a good job. That was the first thing the Communists always did was to try and drive a wedge between men and women by increasing divorce and separating the children from their mothers. Divorce rates in communist countries highest in the world. Making the State the head of the household and the father out of the family and many flats is not the way.

Lots of women having trouble relating to men for this reason and vice versa. We seem to bring up women and men differently these days with different expectations, or indeed no expectations as the whole thing has become confused. Then we seem to get surpassed by immigrants who have more community cohesion then the dodgy political correctness confusing people that this article represents as Mr T says and I say in more words here.

• Cameron Paterson says:

“Dodgy political correctness confusing people” eh? We do our best Mr B 😉

• Mr T says:

Have a read of this: [link to article discussing a woman’s experiences of growing up with a feminist mother]

I would imagine this is the status quo of many if not most children today. Parents who are too busy working, exercising, staring at their phones or dating or whatever instead of spending time with their children. The result of which breeds disordered people and it’ll just get worse.
        (*As noted on your other comment, we can longer allow most outgoing links in comments)

Men, for example, Siegfried Sassoon also missed war and said they felt most alive and comradeship there. Doesn’t mean that war is a good thing. We can do better than that. The answer, I don’t know, but I don’t think trying to make women and men interchangeable is the answer. Athough I do agree with 50:50 shared care to try and stop the women from divorcing the men and calling Government father to the children with dodgy looney establishment liberal educated metropolitan elite laws. Its political correctness gone mad and bad.

A family existing in two houses where they can only afford 1 puts enormous strain on society. So divorce is the issue and the things stopping men and women and children from living together under 1 roof, like the dodgy line pushed that being a mother is not a good thing to be. It is the most important thing and I think in 200 years we will be more like we were 200 years ago than today in that regard with how we see the role. I also think the USA will never have a female President and a female Dr Who is not a good idea. Can see how the dodgy bbc push it with their dodgy liberal establishment metropolitan educated elite lines though. Its political correctness gone mad.

Perhaps we would have more productivity in this country if men didn’t have to watch their backs so much for being called names such as racist, sexist, homophobic, anachronistic etc. Its political correctness gone mad.

Abuser, child abuser and child neglector, etc. example some of the nonsense insults thrown around, things I was called in my divorce for example.

I am suprised people listen to the nonsense the media goes on about. It stinks. Like the line about amicable divorces being possible. 99 times out of 100 the parents end up fighting to the benefit of the lawyers. Its political correctness gone mad.

99 times out of 100 the parents end up fighting to the benefit of the lawyers. Its political correctness gone mad. The 1 time in 100 is where the man rolls over and gives everything for the sake of good relations and can live with that. Personally I think that’s an unnatural way to live. Its political correctness gone mad.

Perhaps I watch too much tv and women and people aren’t really like that. The liberal metropolitan educated elite are over represented in the media and tv and this article though. Its political correctness gone mad. Need more balance. Like the number of times on Questiontime they say, I didn’t personally vote for Brexit. Well somebody did. The majority of the population, yet they dont make it to the panel on questiontime at least 6 times out of 7. Its political correctness gone mad.

The other time Divorce works and people may get amicable is for the rich.

Rant over.

Is Zulu a racist film? I don’t think so. I think its a bloody good film and advise people to watch it. Its political correctness gone mad.

13. Paul says:

Looks like I missed a good one.
    Less mothers at home.
    Increases in child neglect.
    Children speach devolpment slower.
    Children increasingly not ready for school.
    Increases in children suffering depression.
    Their is a depressingly obvious link to be made with all these things.
    Most of the mothers in work are only doing 16-20 hours anyway. Which is not enough income to cover rent/mortgauge or domestic bills. Really all they are doing is supplimenting the mans wage which continues to drop in real terms.
    Look for a job now its very difficult to find 30-40 hours which actually cover bills. Most employers offer only 16-20 hours in line with tax credit.
    How any of us cover bills is extrodinary.

Hi Cameron,

Oh, ‘Mr B’ now is it? Perhaps I’m not so silly as you and people like you like to laugh at me and people like me.

As Ghandi famously said, ‘”First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

I just wonder how the establishment became so unrepresentative of the population of this great country of ours.

15. Andrew says:

Paul: a lot of women – but very few men – choose to spend some years as full time child-raisers; and others (single, divorced, widowed) have no voice. When they go back they will have fallen behind their contemporaries who have been gaining experience. And that’s supposing they can find work; a young woman in my office gave up her job as a telex operator (showing my age!) when her first child was born and when her third started school we had no telex and were sending our own faxes and doing our own typing and there was no job for her.

And that is going to affect the result unless or is factored in and corrected for.

• Paul says:

I agree. The maternity break damages womens prospects. But somehow that the fault of this is us repressive men. We just deliberatly pay ourselves more than women an sit back laughing at them smoking a big cigar.
      Now men find it harder to find rewarding careers. More would be happy to stay at home looking after the kids. But if things don’t work out your stopped from seeing them an the kids are given back to mum. No questions asked. Its just plain nuts.

Oh, and on the Greenham Common argument above, its a close thing, but if forced to, I come down, just, on my Mother’s side of that argument. The thing was illustrative of the tensions between women and men caused by women getting more power.

• JamesB says:

Not more power. They have always had power and been equal but different, as said in the bible. Their Changing role I suppose I mean.

As I said gender politics is confusing. I doubt people of the past worried as much about it as they do currently.