Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call our expert team today
  • When are Specific Issue Orders used?

    When separated or divorced parents cannot make decisions about their child’s future together, one parent can apply to the family courts and ask that they make the decision instead. The courts will consider all of the facts, and base their decision on the best interests of the child.

    The court’s ruling will then be set out in a Specific Issue Order, a legally binding form of Child Arrangements Order. This legal order must then be followed by all parties involved.

  • Examples of Specific Issue Orders

    Specific Issue Orders can be used to resolve various family disputes, including:

    • What school should a child attend?
    • Agreeing changes to a child’s name
    • Whether children should be vaccinated
    • Agreeing medical treatments for our children
    • Preventing contact with specific individuals (in certain circumstances)
    • When and where you can travel with a child
    • What will happen on special occasions and holidays
    • Agreeing on clubs and extracurricular activities?
  • How can I apply for a Specific Issue Order?

    To apply for a Specific Issue Order you must make an application to the family courts under section 8 of the Children Act 1989.

    We recommend that you seek legal advice before making an application. A specialist child law solicitor will help guide you through the legal process, work towards resolving issues without court intervention wherever possible, and clarify arrangements as quickly and amicably as possible.

  • Specific Issues Order procedure

    In most cases, before applying for a Specific Issue Order, it’s mandatory for both parents to attend an initial Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM).

    The purpose of the MIAM is to determine whether Mediation is appropriate and gauge whether it’s possible to resolve the issue without court intervention.

    If Mediation is unworkable or unsuccessful, you can file your application for a Specific Issue Order with the Family Court.

    Once the application has been issued a representative form Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Services (CAFCASS) will speak to both parties and undertake some basic safeguarding checks then send a short report to the Court summarising the outcome of their checks.

    The Court will then schedule a First Hearing Dispute Resolution Appointment (FHDRA) where the case will be heard by a Judge or Magistrates. A CAFCASS officer will usually be present. The Court will consider the safeguarding information and will encourage the parties to reach an agreement.

    If the first hearing does not resolve the issue the Court will set out how the case should proceed. The Court may order CAFCASS to prepare a report. Typically, these take about 12 weeks to prepare and once the report is finished, the parties will attend a Dispute Resolution Appointment (DRA) to see if an agreement can be reached.

    In the event that the issue remains unresolved, the case will go to a Final Hearing in which the Court will hear the evidence from the parties involved, the Cafcass officer, and other experts to make a legally binding decision.

  • What factors are taken into consideration?

    Decisions made by the court are centred around the child’s welfare and best interests. The Children Act 1989 outlines guidelines for judges to consider when reaching a decision:

    • The wishes and feelings of the child
    • Their physical, emotional, and educational needs
    • The impact on the child should their circumstances change
    • Characteristics including age, sex, and background
    • Whether the child is at risk of harm or whether harm has already been suffered
    • How capable the child’s parents are of meeting their needs
Stowe Support
Click here for a range of tools to help you through your relationship breakdown and beyond.
what is platonic coparenting

How long does a Specific Issue Order last?

A family court specific issue order usually ends when a child reaches 16 years of age. In some cases, the court can set the order for a specific period of time or, in exceptional circumstances, they can last until the child reaches 18 years of age.

platonic co-parent reading a book

How is a Specific Issue Order different to a Prohibited Steps Order?

A prohibited Steps Order is another form of Child Arrangements Order. While the process is similar to a Specific Issue Order, the purpose is different.

A specific issue order is made to agree on a particular course of action, while the purpose of a prohibited steps order is to prevent action, for example removing a child from school, changing their surname, or taking them out of the country.

Request Free Callback

Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.

0330 056 3171

Request Free Callback

Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.

By using this form, you agree to this site storing and handling your data. Your data will only be used to contact you to discuss your enquiry, including by phone and text. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

You’re Almost There...

Simply choose your preferred callback date and time below, and a member of our team will be in touch.

When would you like to be contacted?


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

What type of information are you looking for?

Privacy Policy