Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call our expert team today

What is child custody?

In the UK child custody law determines the person(s) responsible for the care and charge of a child, after divorce or separation. The term custody can also be referred to as residency – indicating the child’s main residence, following parents going their separate ways.

Many child custody agreement also includes rules regarding visitation. Visitation dictates when a specific party mentioned in the agreement has the right to visit or spend time with the child, or children, in question.

Contact us

Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.

0330 056 3171

    Request Free Callback

    Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.

    Child custody law FAQs

    • What child custody laws may you and your partner need to resolve?
      • Where should your child(ren) reside
      • When your children should see you and your ex-partner, and when they should stay with each of you overnight
      • Financial arrangements – contributions to the cost of bringing up your children in a fair way
      • A potential change of the children’s names
      • What school your child(ren) shoudl attend
    • What is child contact and access?

      Child contact refers to the time children spend with a parent who they do not live with. Contact can be direct (in-person), or in-direct, (calls, texts and letters). It can also be supervised, for instance, a family member or close firend has to be there during conatc times; however, can also be unsupervised.

    • Should I hire a child cusotdy solicitor?

      The key thing to consider when making child custody agreements is to keep the child, or children’s, wellbeing at the forefront of your mind. If you believe that working with a child custody specialist will help you to amicably resolve any disputes, then seeking legal advice would be a good idea.

      You can contact our child custody specialists for legal advice today by visiting our contact page.

    Child custody advice and further reading

    • External relocation: when a parent wishes to move overseas with a child, what rules apply?

      If a relationship breaks down and there are children involved, what rules are applied to cases when one parent wishes to move with the children to another country? In this post, we will be looking at the rules – and how they could change in the future.

      Read in full >

    • 5 tips for parallel parenting

      Parallel parenting is a method used by divorced or separated parents who wish to continue to parent their children in parallel, whilst agreeing to limit contact and interaction with each other. This technique is particularly helpful in divorces that involve domestic abuse, high-conflict, or where communication is extremely difficult.

      Read in full >

    • What can you do if your children do not want to visit your ex partner?

      What can I do if my children do not want to visit my ex-partner? It is a difficult situation for all involved if a child does not want to visit the other parent.

      First off, you should not react by stopping contact unless you have serious concerns for your child’s welfare. Instead, try to establish the reasoning behind the child’s reluctance and speak to the other parent. Stopping contact if there is a court order in place can have serious consequences so please do speak to an experienced family lawyer.

      Read in full >


    Newsletter Sign Up

    Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

      What type of information are you looking for?

      Privacy Policy