Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call our expert team today

Resolving child maintenance issues 

The best solution is for you and your ex-partner to agree on maintenance and manage the process directly. This reduces the need for CMS fees and any potential court/legal fees. It also means the maintenance can be flexed (with both sides agreement) if circumstances change. 

However, these arrangements are not legally enforceable, so they are not suitable for all families. To make the agreement legally binding, you can apply to the court to turn it into a consent order.  However, either parent can opt out after 12 months and choose to go to the CMS. 

The CMS is a government service that will arrange and collect maintenance on the relevant parents’ behalf, helping reduce conflict and any payment issues.  

In certain circumstances, for example, if one parent lives aboard, you can seek an order for child maintenance from the courts. 

Making decisions about the future financial security of your family is stressful. So let us help take the strain; our legal team works within this area of the law every day and is highly knowledgeable about its complexities and processes.

Contact us

We remain open for business during the COVID-19 outbreak. Submit your details below, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation call back at a time to suit you.

To ensure we are the right fit, we need to make you aware that we cannot offer Legal aid.

0330 056 3171

    Request Free Callback

    Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.


    Newsletter Sign Up

    Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

      What type of information are you looking for?

      Privacy Policy