Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call our expert team today
  • About cohabitation agreement UK

    About cohabitation agreements

    As laws relating to the separation of cohabitees are entirely different to those which apply to married couples, it is wise to draw up a cohabitation agreement or contract. There is a commonly held belief that if you live with somebody for long enough you have entered into a ‘common law marriage’. This is simply wrong.  Simply living with someone does not grant an automatic right to a share in property or support. Dealing with the financial consequences of the breakdown of a relationship between unmarried parties can be an extremely stressful and expensive process which often takes time. Seeking legal advice and entering into a well drafted cohabitation agreement can alleviate many of these issues. Whilst couples may prefer not to discuss the relationship ending, in the long term it may save a great deal of money and heartbreak.

    A cohabitation agreement can be entered into at any time during a relationship –they are not restricted to when couples first get together. Furthermore, the agreement can be ‘varied’ (changed) at any stage, perhaps due to a change in circumstances (for example having a child), but for the sake of clarity any changes should be recorded in writing, as opposed to being made verbally between the parties. Legal advice should always be sought on the implications of any proposed changes to the agreement.

What can be included in a cohabitation agreement?

A cohabitation agreement can include a vast array of provisions, but do consider the validity and enforceability of the terms.

Things that couples may wish to feature in a cohabitation agreement include (but are not limited to) the following:

  • Property rights

    Property rights: this can cover properties which are held in joint names or those that are in one party’s sole name. The agreement should reflect how the properties are owned and each party’s ‘beneficial interest’ (i.e. entitlement to a share in the net sale proceeds of the property). This should also be reflected in the title deeds for the property by way of a deed of trust. Consideration should also be given to who is paying the mortgage; who will pay the utility bills etc; whether there are any endowment policies or other policies linked to the mortgage – including how they are being paid for and how they will be dealt with upon separation. If there are life insurance policies, who is paying for them and how will they be dealt with?

  • Financial provision

    Financial provision: Consideration should be given to whether a joint bank account should be set up, whether contributions to a joint bank account should be equal and upon separation how the sum in the joint bank account would be divided. The same consideration should be given to savings. Often pensions are overlooked and parties may wish to nominate their pension or any death-in- service benefits for the benefit of their partner (i.e. allocate the funds to them). This will, however, depend on whether the particular pension scheme is willing to accept such nominations.

  • Financial provision for children

    Financial provision for children: whilst agreements can be entered into regarding child maintenance this does not prevent either party from applying to the Child Maintenance Service for a calculation. Whilst the parties are free to enter into a written agreement, after a period of one year has passed either party can make a referral to the Child Maintenance Service.

  • Child arrangements

    Child arrangements: whilst arrangements for any child of the family post separation can be provided for in the arrangement, if the couple later end up going to court the terms of the agreement may not be strictly enforced. The terms may, however, provide guidance or context in any dispute.

  • Death

    Death: consideration should be given to how assets will be dealt with upon the death of a cohabitee. Provision can be made by way of a will but the parties should always bear in mind that a claim can be made against the deceased’s estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. As stated above, life insurance policies and pensions can be nominated to a surviving party.

  • Personal possessions

    Personal possessions: these can often be overlooked but thought should be given to who owns what and who will keep what in the event of separation. It may be that one party earns significantly more than the other so would be in a better position to purchase new household goods in the event of separation. Furthermore, one party may bring into the relationship a valuable asset so you should consider how this will be dealt with upon separation.

Drafting a cohabitation agreement

Professional advice from a specialist family solicitor should be sought in relation to the drafting of any agreement as it is imperative that the document contains certain information and that certain processes and procedures are followed. It is important that the agreement be drafted in a way that the intentions of the parties are clear and that there is no ambiguity, as unclear or obscure terms may cause problems enforcing the agreement.

There is very little guidance in relation to cohabitation agreements, but generally the guidelines relating to prenuptial agreements are a helpful starting point. When considering to what extent a prenuptial agreement should be upheld, the court set out some helpful guidance in the case of K v K (2003) 1 FLR 120. This guidance should be considered when entering into a cohabitation agreement:

  • Obtaining legal advice for cohabiting couples

    A cohabiting family should obtain independent legal advice. This means each party will need to see a separate solicitor. One party cannot advise two people on the implications of the terms of an agreement as it is likely there will be a conflict of interest due to a particular term benefitting one party as opposed to another (even if they are fair and reasonable).

  • Financial disclosure

    Parties in a cohabiting relationship should exchange ‘financial disclosure’ (full details of their finances) to ensure that they are fully aware of the other parties’ financial circumstances. This will assist in drafting a comprehensive agreement.

  • Provisions for children

    If there are any children, provision should be made for them in the agreement.

  • Reviewing the agreement as circumstances change

    The agreement should be reviewed regularly, particularly if a child is born or one party’s circumstances change, because, for example, they cease working or receive a large inheritance

  • Ensuring a fair agreement - cohabitation law

    Proper consideration should be given to whether the terms of the agreement are fair and are in line with the kind of order a court would make. The whole agreement may be deemed void if the outcome would be unjust: if, for example, a term dismisses either party’s claim for child maintenance

  • Is a cohabitation agreement legally binding?

    Yes, and as with financial remedy proceedings for married couples, consideration needs to be given to all the circumstances of the case, including whether undue pressure is being placed on either party by their partner or a third party such as a relative. If a court concludes that the agreement was entered because one party was placed under pressure, the whole agreement could be given little or no weight. Speak to a cohabitation lawyer from Stowe Family Law for advice on how to set up a cohabitation agreement with your cohabiting partner.

Cohabitation agreement cost

The cost of a cohabitation agreement can vary based on a couple’s circumstances. Typically, the more complex the agreement needs to be, then the higher the legal fees for drafting the agreement will be.

Ensuring that you discuss all of your requirements with your cohabitation agreement lawyer while drafting the agreement will ensure that you get what is right for you and your partner.

Do I need a cohabitation agreement?

In theory, it’s not required for you to have a cohabitation agreement if you’re unmarried, yet living with your partner. However, bear in mind that you may have to pay much more in legal fees if something goes wrong and you don’t have a cohabitation agreement in place.

Contact Stowe’s expert cohabitation agreement solicitors today

We specialise in cohabitation and family law at Stowe and have extensive experience dealing with issues concerning private school fees.

We have family lawyers in offices throughout the UKs major cities, including London, Birmingham, York, Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, Liverpool and Leeds, along with towns including Harrogate, Wilmslow, Beverley, Ilkley, Wetherby, and Winchester.

If you’re interested in learning more, contact us today at 0330 404 0913 or fill in our online contact form.

As we have discussed, cohabitation agreements can be useful tools but it is imperative that you seek specialist legal advice before entering one.

Contact us

Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.

0330 056 3171

    Request Free Callback

    Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.


    Newsletter Sign Up

    Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

      What type of information are you looking for?

      Privacy Policy