Stowe Family Law is NOT able to offer legal aid
Legal aid is a UK government funded program to help people from disadvantaged backgrounds get access to legal representation. Legal aid services can only be provided by organisations which have a contract with the Legal Aid Agency (LAA)
Unfortunately Stowe Family Law does not have a contract with the Legal Aid Agency and is therefore unable to offer legal aid to our clients. There is more information below about legal aid and family law.
There is a searchable list of approved legal aid solicitors and law firms on the Government legal aid website http://find-legal-advice.justice.gov.uk/.
To check if you are eligible for legal aid please visit the Government website https://www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid
Family Law Legal Aid Cases
As a result of changes to legal aid made in 2013, as part of cost cutting measures, legal aid is only available in some specific cases. In family law these types of cases are:
- Court injunctions taken against a violent or abusive partner or family member
- If you have suffered or are at risk of domestic violence or abuse by a family member
- High Court proceedings about child welfare
- Cases where social services are involved with your children
- Forced marriage
- Family mediation – help to resolve disputes about finance or children on breakdown of a relationship
- If your child has, or is at risk of, being taken out of the country without your consent
Legal aid would only be available if your financial resources were within the limits set by the Legal Aid Agency. If you are awarded money or property as a result of your case you may be asked to pay back some or all of the costs funded by Legal Aid.
Legal Aid in Scotland and Northern Ireland is different to England and Wales so please check in your country for availability.
If you are still interested in speaking with one of our solicitors and are able to pay for your legal advice without legal aid, then please get in touch.
Other Legal Aid Resources
If you wish to find out more about legal aid, there are some links below to other resources.
- Official government legal aid website https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid
- The official Legal Aid Agency website https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/legal-aid-agency
- The Citizens Advice Bureau https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/help-with-legal-costs-legal-aid/
- Civil Legal Advice Helpline 0345 345 4 345 https://www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice
- The Law Society legal aid page http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/for-the-public/paying-for-legal-services/legal-aid/
- Stowe Family Law blog articles on Legal Aid http://www.marilynstowe.co.uk/tag/legal-aid/