Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call our expert team today

How do you divide a pension?

The rules of the pension scheme will help inform you which of these options will work best for you.  It is important that you get professional advice from a solicitor and or a financial adviser before you take any steps with regard to dividing up your pensions.

The main options for dealing with your pensions are:

  • Pension sharing

    You get a percentage share of any one (or more) of your spouses’/ civil partner’s pensions. This is either transferred into a pension in your name or it may entitle you to join your ex-partner’s pension scheme. There may be better benefits available from the pension if you are able to remain a member of your spouse’s scheme. If the pension is transferred to you and you don’t already have your own pension, you’ll have to set one up. An independent financial adviser will be needed to assist with this. A pension sharing order can only be made if your divorce or dissolution is completed with the court pronouncing a Decree Absolute / Decree of Dissolution.

  • Pensions offsetting

    The value of any pensions is offset against other assets. For example, you might get a bigger share of the family home in return for your ex-spouse keeping their pension. It is vitally important however to appreciate that it is not an easy exercise to compare the value of a pension which is a future income stream and say money in the bank which is immediately available to you.

About pensions and divorce

  • Accessing pension funds

    You have to appreciate that in taking money now you are sacrificing a pension which you may also need in the future. It is also important that the pension is properly valued by an actuary or a pension adviser so that you are fully informed as to your options.

    Pensions attachment order: Effectively some of your pension benefits are “earmarked” (attachment orders used to be called earmarking orders) so that you get some of your ex-partner’s pension when it starts being paid to them. You can get some of the pension income, the lump sum or both. But you can’t get pension payments before your ex-partner has started taking their pension.

  • Splitting your pension after you’ve retired

    If you and/or your ex-partner have retired and your pensions are in payment, the pensions can still be split. It isn’t possible to take a lump sum from your ex-partner’s pension if they have already taken their lump sum.

Do you need a court order?

Only a court can make a pension sharing order, pension attachment or earmarking order.  Even if you decide to pursue the option of offsetting we would always recommend getting a court order to ensure certainty and also enforceability should something go wrong.

You should get advice from a family lawyer who knows about pensions in divorce or dissolution as the rules are complicated. At Stowe, we have many members of our team who have extensive experience in dealing with this complex area of the law and would be more than happy to sit down with you and discuss your options. We will also put you in contact with a financial adviser who can assist you.

Contact Stowe, pension and divorce (UK) specialists

We are Stowe Family Law solicitors, and we have extensive experience helping people work through the financial implications that come along with divorce. We can aid your case with a hands-on approach to divorce and finances, using all of our expertise to make things easier for you.

Contact us

Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.

0330 056 3171

    Request Free Callback

    Submit your details, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation callback at a time to suit you. Please note that we cannot offer Legal aid.


    Newsletter Sign Up

    Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

      What type of information are you looking for?

      Privacy Policy