A prenuptial agreement provides a clear agreement that can lead to peace of mind for both parties.
They can give you peace of mind if:
- You want to protect inheritance or future inheritance, both money and assets
- There are assets and/or property that would be very hard to split 50/50
- You have children from a previous relationship and want to ensure certain assets are reserved for them and protect their inheritance rights. (It is also crucial to make a will)
- Either party own a business which they’d like to retain control of
- If your spouse has outstanding debt, a prenuptial agreement with a ‘debt clause’ can protect you from being liable