On Sunday, the 70 year-old advertising executive told the Mail on Sunday:
“I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced. I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.”
The move followed the publication last month of controversial photographs showing the multi-millionaire outside a London restaurant with his hands around his wife’s throat.
Nigella is reported to have been unaware of the divorce announcement before it appeared in print. An unnamed friend told the media:
“Nigella finds the idea that she didn’t help him over the pictures ludicrous. What was she meant to say? She very nearly had a nervous breakdown with the stress she was under. Nigella was trying to protect him by saying nothing in public. It was so difficult for her because she was hoping all the while that they could reconcile and put it behind them.”
Lawson moved out of the couple’s £12 million home in Chelsea shortly after the photos were published and has now moved into a new rented property with a state-of-the-art kitchen, the paper reports.
According to reports, the couple had no prenuptial agreement.
Photo by Lloyd Davis via Flickr under a Creative Commons licence