Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm

Government opens marriage tax break registrations

A scheme offering tax savings to married couples is now open for registration.

The ‘Marriage Allowance’ is available to spouses earning less than £10,600 per year. It will allow them to transfer part of their ‘personal allowance’ to their partner, reducing the couple’s overall tax liability by up to £212 per year. A personal allowance is the amount individuals can earn without being required to pay tax: £10,000 per year in most circumstances.

Applicants must be married or in a civil partnership. The maximum allowable income includes pensions and investment income and not just salaries, and the spouse benefiting from the transfer cannot earn more than £42,385.

The Marriage Allowance is due to be introduced later in the year.

Read more here.

The blog team at Stowe is a group of writers based across our family law offices who share their advice on the wellbeing and emotional aspects of divorce or separation from personal experience. As well as pieces from our family law solicitors, guest contributors also regularly contribute to share their knowledge.

Contact us

As the UK's largest family law firm we understand that every case is personal.

Leave a comment

Help & advice categories


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

What type of information are you looking for?

Privacy Policy