Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm

Government ‘must do more’ to protect children’s rights

The government must do more to protect children’s rights, a committee of MPs has claimed.

While the government has made some progress on the issue, in some areas its policies have been overtly detrimental, the Committee declared.

In a new report examining the government’s record in relation to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, the MPs cite cuts to legal aid, tighter controls on immigration and children being held within the prison system as areas of particular concern. Children from disadvantaged families have been particularly vulnerable to government cutbacks, they claim.

Proposals outlined in the report include giving clear responsibility for children’s rights issues to a senior ministers and treating the elimination of child poverty as a human rights issue.

Dr Hywel Francis MP is Chair of the Joint Committee on Human Rights. He said:

“The 2010 commitment by the Government to have due regard to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child when making policy and law was a bold and welcome step. In many areas things have improved for children over this Parliament as a result, although the momentum set in train in 2010 has slowed considerably in some areas.”

The report is available here.

The blog team at Stowe is a group of writers based across our family law offices who share their advice on the wellbeing and emotional aspects of divorce or separation from personal experience. As well as pieces from our family law solicitors, guest contributors also regularly contribute to share their knowledge.

Contact us

As the UK's largest family law firm we understand that every case is personal.


  1. Carol Bird says:

    They could start with looking at childrens legal right to their birth certified name that can be changed at will
    by the Local Authorities when producing allegations, but birth certified name for adoption

Leave a comment

Help & advice categories


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

What type of information are you looking for?

Privacy Policy