Call us: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm
Call local rate 0330 056 3171
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm | Sat - Sun 9am - 5pm

My ex-wife has a new partner – can I cut my maintenance payments?


In this regular column, Stowe Family Law solicitors answer readers’ questions on different legal issues.  Today’s query goes to Jennifer Reddy, a solicitor in our Wilmslow office. If you have a brief question you’d like to ask, contact us and we’ll choose one for the next Ask A Family Lawyer.

My ex-wife has moved in with a new partner. He seems to be comfortably off. Do I have grounds for cutting my maintenance payments?


There are no grounds for reducing child maintenance on the basis that your ex-wife is living with a new partner. Your obligation to pay child maintenance continues regardless of your ex-wife’s circumstances. However if your circumstances change, for example you lose your job or you have another child for which you are financially responsible, then it may be possible to ask the Child Maintenance Service to re-assess the level of child maintenance payable.

Spousal maintenance

A similar principle applies to spousal maintenance (or ‘periodical payments’ to use their official name) in that it may be possible to ‘vary’ (change) the amount payable during the lifespan of the legal order. However it would be necessary to make an application to the Court to vary the amount or duration of the payments.

The first place to look is the order made by the Court setting out how much you should pay and the circumstances in which maintenance will come to an end. It may be that the order says that spousal maintenance will end on cohabitation (which is usually defined as a set period in any 12 months, for example three or six months). It is unusual to see this provision in an order and more commonly spousal maintenance is ordered to come to an end at specified times – for example after two years, once the youngest child reaches 18, on the death of either party or if the receiving spouse remarries. In short it is unlikely that you will not have automatic grounds to vary spousal maintenance as a result of your ex-wife’s cohabitation. It would be necessary to apply back to the Court so a judge can determine whether the payments should be changed.

What would the Court consider?

So, if you do make an application, what would the Court look at in making its decision? You would need to show the Court that there has been a change in either your financial circumstances or those of your ex-spouse.

In your case you could say that your ex-wife is now cohabiting but that alone would not necessarily be enough. You would need to go a few steps further. Is your ex-spouse being supported financially by her new partner? Does he pay the rent or mortgage? Contribute towards the bills? Are they living in his home so your ex-wife no longer has to pay rent or mortgage? These factors would be relevant.

It may be that you are struggling to meet the payments due to a change in your personal circumstances. You may have lost your job or more commonly, you may have seen your income reduce over time until it bears no comparison to the income you had at the time the order was made. If you have remarried and had another child or children then your income will be stretched further than it was before. If you find yourself in any of these situations, then you may have grounds to vary the spousal maintenance order.

The Court will consider the welfare of any minor children in making its decision and where possible, the Court will wish to give the receiving party time to adjust to a change in income so as to avoid undue hardship.

The Judge has wide discretion to determine whether the payments should come to an end, be suspended, or go up or down. He or she can even make an order for the spousal maintenance to effectively be paid off in one or more lump sums, provided there is enough capital.

There is a duty upon the Court to consider a clean break at the earliest opportunity. If circumstances permit one, then you may succeed in terminating the spousal maintenance order.

A word of warning however. The success or otherwise of these sorts of application depend very much on the specific facts of each case and it is essential to consult a lawyer before you look to change your spousal maintenance payments.

Jennifer is a senior associate in the firm’s Wilmslow office. She has experience in relationship planning and separation advice, such as nuptial agreements. She also provides advice in relation to entering into a cohabiting relationship.

Contact us

As the UK's largest family law firm we understand that every case is personal.


  1. keith says:

    ive never been married so never found myself in this situation but what i would say is that the rules should be changed.
    for instance, if your X wife meets a new partner who is very wealthy and living in a million pound house then she moves in with him living the millionaire lifestyle i would say the maintenance should no longer be paid. it should always be based on the lifestyle and income of all involved. living with a wealthy man then still claiming the maintenance from your X could be viewed as plain Greedy. especially when it could lower the living std of the X husband who might be living in a council house and only earning the national min wage.
    a similar Moral question is when we hear about a celebrity who was still claiming child benefit even though this person is a millionaire. very very wrong.

  2. Andrew says:

    CB is not means-tested, Keith.

Leave a comment

Help & advice categories


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up for advice on divorce and relationships from our lawyers, divorce coaches and relationship experts.

    What type of information are you looking for?

    Privacy Policy