Request Free Call Back

    We remain open for business during the COVID-19 outbreak. Submit your details below, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation call back at a time to suit you. To ensure we are the right fit, we need to make you aware that we cannot offer Legal aid.

    Cohabitation matters

    Common-law man and wife is a complete myth.  If you are unmarried and live together you do not have the legal rights of a married couple. 

    As a result, following the breakdown of a relationship or the death of one party there are very different legal implications, sometimes creating a financial disaster for a dependent cohabitee. 

    Capital assets such as the family home are not divided as they might be in divorce and should a property dispute occur, trust and land law is applied instead. 

    There is no automatic entitlement to make financial, capital, spousal maintenance or pension claims. There are laws concerning the children of cohabiting couples as there is no distinction between married and unmarried parents when deciding such issues as who the child (or children) will live with and how often they will see the other parent.

    Read our guide to cohabitation PDF
    Cohabitation FAQs

    For confidential advice on cohabitation issues from expert cohabitation solicitors please contact our Client Care Team below. 

    How to protect yourself

    Declaration of trust 

    This is a document that confirms the proportions in which two or more individuals own a property, for example, the amount of equity for each party or how it will be spilt should the relationship breakdown. 

    Cohabitation agreement

    Draw together an agreement that details, amongst others, how property, capital and assets are owned and should be divided; arrangements for children; finances (mortgage and bank accounts) and next of kin.  In order to ensure that the agreement is correctly drafted and given full legal effect, you should consult a solicitor.

    Make a will 

    It is also important to make a valid will. If you were to die without leaving a will, under the rules of intestacy, unmarried cohabitees do not inherit. 

    Relationship already broken down

    Please do seek legal advice as soon as possible to ensure you have an understanding of the situation. 

    Try and resolve matters by agreement without going to court. If this is not possible, there are a couple of options: 

    Trust of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 (ToLATA)

    You can make a claim to ask the court to decide what share of the property each party owns and decide whether it should be sold to release one party’s share. This is a civil claim and has cost implications. 

    Schedule 1 Applications 

    You can make a claim for financial provision for the children from the other parent. This can be maintenance or a lump-sum but will be dependent on your family circumstances.  

    Get in touch

    Our expert team of divorce, family and cohabitation lawyers will guide you through your relationship break-up.

    We frequently work with unmarried couples who have separated and will advise you on the most effective and efficient process for you, taking your circumstances into account.

    Stowe Testimonials

    Newsletter Sign Up

    For all the latest news from Stowe Family law
    please sign up for instant access today.

      Privacy Policy