Are you thinking about divorce, are you not yet sure if you want a divorce?
If you are thinking about getting divorce, it might not be the right decision just yet.
All married couples have struggles. No relationship is perfect and arguments are almost inevitable when you’re living with someone for an extended period of time. Sometimes those disagreements can become heated and, in those situations, it can be tempting to throw in the towel and say “I want a divorce”.
However, divorce is a huge step as it represents a very significant change in your life. Therefore it should not be taken lightly. It should be approached calmly and rationally as much as possible. One of the first things to consider before the divorce solicitors are called is: can the marriage be saved? Is divorce essential? At the height of your disagreements it can be hard to see any way to salvage your relationship but once you have both regained your composure and perspective, things may look different.
Although it may be considered an absolute deal-breaker for some, even something as serious and as shocking as adultery does not have to be the end of a marriage. It depends on how much both parties are willing to work to stay married.
There are several avenues to explore and organisations to contact if you want to work on saving a marriage. These include:
- Our blog – This features lots if helpful articles relating to divorce law, family solicitors and all stages of the divorce process and afterwards.
- Family Lives – Advice on finding support while you are going through divorce or separation including contact, parenting alone and more.
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy – A professional body representing counsellors and psychotherapists. The BACP has over 44,000 members and works toward a better standard of therapeutic practice.
- It’s Good to Talk – Includes general information on therapy and how to find a good therapist.
- Samaritans – A long-running charity with a 24-hour hotline which provides confidential emotional support to those experiencing despair, distress or suicidal feelings.
- Relate – Another free advice service covering relationship counselling, sex therapy, mediation, consultations. Support is available face-to-face, by phone via their website and in workshops.
- NHS – The NHS website has a government-funded resource to help you find counselling or therapy in your area.
However, if you are sure that divorce is what you want, then it is time to seek out legal advice. Divorce is rarely a straightforward process and the law can be difficult to navigate without qualified help. This is where Stowe Family Law can prove invaluable. Our team of top solicitors have experience dealing with all aspects of divorce from the personal to the financial. The firm is the largest specialist family law practice in the UK. The fact that we practice family law only, and the vast majority of our caseload deals with divorce, means there is no other specialist family law firm in the UK with our depth of talent. This expertise can be called upon to give input relating to even the most bizarre and complicated of cases.
If you have any questions, our lawyers are just a phone call away.
Get in touch today to discuss your separation.