Teenagers more likely to own a smartphone than live with their father, study claims

Family|July 14th 2014

The average 15 year-old is now more likely to own a smartphone than live with their father, a newly published study suggests.

According to the report FULLY COMMITTED? How a Government could reverse family breakdown, 62 per cent of fifteen year-olds now own a smartphone, while only 57 per cent still live with their fathers. The figure is derived from an analysis of government data.

The report was published by the Centre for Social Justice (CSJ), a think tank established by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith to campaign on the issue of family breakdown.

The report complains of a culture of “disposable Dads” and claims that as many as one million children lose contact with grandparents through separation and divorce. It puts a figure of £50 billion on the average cost of family breakdown. The report predicts that close to half of all children sitting their GCSEs by the end of the next parliament in six years’ time will be living in fatherless homes.

The CSJ calls on the government to introduce a national network of ‘Family Hubs’, offering a mix of relationship support, both antenatal and postnatal services, along with employment and debt advice and birth registrations. They also claim fathers should automatically be named on birth certificates.

Director Christian Guy said:

“For too long family breakdown in this country has gone unchallenged – despite the devastating impact it has on adults, children and communities. The next government can’t hide from this and needs to raise the stakes, get behind families and promote stability – this report outlines the ways to do it.”

The full report can be read here.

Family hubs to meet other parents are a good idea. Nuclear families in towns and cities can be isolating and a pressure cooker like sometimes. Good to have something to do and people to socialise with. Providing a load of parents dont turn up and start fighting. So may need security there also.

as I sit here while my children live elsewhere I also agree that it is an issue that so many are affected in this way.

The solution. Well I think government money would be better spent on this sort of thing than more lawyers and child support financing and encouraging the family breakdown industry as they do. The more support you give single mums the more of them you get. Would be nice to see some support for the Dads for a change.

I found gingerbread for example anti male and nrps also.

Mumsnet etc. Dont do it either. Support relationships or men or Dads. Too much of womans hour is anti male where it should be pro relationships.

These family centres would help with society and families also which would be nice please as long as they aren’t just for women, would be good if dads and mums and single dads and single mums are welcome.

My son has a smartphone and doesn’t live with me so the stat is true in my case. I wish it wasnt though as I miss my children. That is also something that is under reported. That non resident fathers miss their children and are usually nice people rather than as deadbeats which is often – thankfully less and less so now – we have been portrayed in the past.

To summarise, giving all resources to single mums makes the problem worse. it would be better if some resources from what resources are available could be given to non resident parents and fathers and mothers as well as the family law and system on this matter is a bit one sided on the pwc side and a lot of nrps end up in big trouble or not alive trying to recover from family breakdown and this has knock on effect on their children.

So, yes, family hub centres is a good idea and one of the few I see on this subject as there is a shortage of good ideas on this subject, so yes please to that. Not like in Australia though where they tried this and men weren’t really feeling welcome in them so I think they struggled with it. Things like lego or bacon sandwiches and tea and squash and social get togethers. Not just for single parents there is a lack of social get togethers for parents in general so it is a good idea and think there would be a demand there.

The bacon sandwiches comment was not intended as anything negative Marilyn, was an oversight on my behalf, I was just thinking on how to get parents mixing rather than just with their children at such places. Tea and biscuits I probably should have said, no offence meant. I did go to such an event once and their were bacon sandwiches there though which is probably why I thought of that. Tea and biscuits would probably work better for this situation though. Like singles events in supermarkets perhaps single parents events in playgrounds or school or other halls.

Can we also have better treatment of non resident parents by family law courts and divorce courts, including especially on the matters of contact and finances, please.

I haven’t already said that. The divorce and family courts and judges there seem to dislike non resident parents and that is not fair, they should be fairer to nrps, with money and contact.