Parental orders for foreign-born children ‘must go the High Court’

Family Law | 14 Dec 2015 1

All cases involving parental orders for children born abroad must be allocated to the High Court, a judge has ruled.

Re Z concerned a commercial surrogacy arrangement between a British couple and a woman in India. Following in vitro fertilisation, non-identical twin girls were born in May last year. The commissioning couple then applied for a parental order transferring the legal status of parent from the surrogate mother to them, as required by section 54 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act.

However, due to problems with the twins’ travel documents, the couple were unable to bring them back to the UK until May this year, and the delay was partly attributed to the fact that their case had not allocated to a High Court judge.

The couples were eventually granted their parental orders in July, but the accompanying judgement has only just been published. In this, Ms Justice Russell included guidance on handing cases of a similar nature in the future.

In addition to stating that such cases must be handled by High Court judges, she declared the child’s welfare must be properly assessed by a court official through a face-to-face meeting with the commissioning couple in each case, unless there is a sufficient quantity of independent evidence available or some other significant reason why a meeting cannot take place.

The full ruling is here.

The blog team at Stowe is a group of writers who share their advice on the wellbeing and emotional aspects of divorce or separation from personal experience. Guest contributors also regularly contribute to share their knowledge.

Share This Post...

Get in touch

    Request Free Call Back

    We remain open for business during the COVID-19 outbreak. Submit your details below, and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation call back at a time to suit you. To ensure we are the right fit, we need to make you aware that we cannot offer Legal aid.


    1. nan says:

      These orders should be made easily availble, with particular orders in the courts. Some People have no option but LIP,if these were easily to find it would mean less confusion,solicitors should also be pointing these orders out, but dont.

    Leave a Reply


    Newsletter Sign Up

    For all the latest news from Stowe Family law
    please sign up for instant access today.

      Privacy Policy